Best Baby Cloth Diapers
If you're in a rush, you can check our list of Top 10 Best Baby Cloth Diapers 2017 in the table below.
BEST BABY CLOTH DIAPERS 2017
Baby Cloth Diapers
We have been getting lot queries on cloth diapers, so we have reviewed all the top cloth diapers and selected the best baby cloth diapers for you.
If you are expecting or just had an appointment with your baby’s doc about the rashes on his bum. You must be in desperate need of an alternative to the disposable diaper you used. So this is the solution to your problem “CLOTH DIAPERS!!” This is the one – stop – for - all guidance about cloth diapers. What are they, what are the requirements for usage, best brands, pros, cons and A to Z about cloth diapers.
Best Baby Cloth Diapers
All the ratings are Editorial Ratings
Thirsties snap on diaper is a very hugging design and is suitable for all body shapes. The inner core can be easily changed and the diaper has a water proof layer so it just needs to be cleaned between two uses.
The elastics near the leg regions hold the diaper firmly to the baby’s body. They are soft yet durable. The core is can be up to triple layer thick prefold and yet the diaper won’t feel bulky to the baby. The Thirsties Duo Wrap is the best selling variant of the brand.
Diaper Type: Snap On
Colors Available: meadow, aqua, iris, midnight blue, moss
Limited air supply
Tops the chart in almost all aspects!
Nora's Nursery Baby Cloth Pocket Diapers come as a pack of 7 cloth diapers, 7 Bamboo Inserts, and a wet used-diaper bag. They are for babies from 10 - 30 pounds almost by the time they reach the toddler stage.
These are highly absorbent being of bamboo fabric. The inserts have been made of microfibre hybrid Bamboo fabric which makes them ecofriendly. They are quadric layered. The suede fabric is suitable for your baby and doesn't hurt her skin. The diapers grow with your child by the snap on buttons design. They have snug leg opening and a completely waterproof cover.
They are 100% leak free and come with a money back guarantee. They are of both kinds unisex and universal. No wonder they are in the 2nd spot of my best baby cloth diapers list.
Diaper Type: Cover up and insert
Colors Available: Black and white, navy nautical, elegant, pink blossom, perfect peonies
Has a snug leg opening
Has a completely waterproof cover
A wet used-diaper bag free
Money back guarantee on dissatisfaction
100% Leak Free with Money Back Guarantee!
LBB sells reusable Baby Cloth Pocket Diapers, 6 pcs + 6 Inserts is one of the best selling cloth diapesr which comes at a very affordable rate. The LBB diaper has an anti leak cover that keeps the moisture locked and doesn’t allow it to reach the baby either. It grows with your baby and gets converted into small, medium and large size.
For those of you who have cute little babies the LBB has a waist tab that overlaps and reduced the girth of diaper for extra small belly. Like most cloth diapers ecofriendly. It is machine washable and has to be tumble dried on a low spin.
Diaper Type: Cover up
Colors Available: Cow, flower, Gray, pinky, Red, animal, zebra, blue owl, dark purple, kitty, mickey, white chrysanthemum
Has a waist tab that overlaps
Users have mentioned that inserts are not durable
Gets converted into S, M and L size
Has an anti leak cover
Comes at a very affordable rate
Comes in over 12 colour and designs
Great designs, affordable and work very well!
Mama Koala Pocket Cloth Diapers come as a pack of 6 and have 6 Inserts along. This cloth cover up diaper is meant for babies from 8-35 lbs. The inserts have been made of three layers of highly absorbent microfiber.
The cover is breathable and inner suede cloth locks moisture away from baby's skin. It has TPU laminate coat to prevent leakages. It has replaceable elastic leg openings for close fitting and comfort. The 3 × 3 rise snap system allows one to adjust the diaper size with growing baby only to some extent. It is machine washable and can be washed with warm water. It is in top 5 best baby cloth diapers list because of some good personal reviews by our staff members.
Diaper Type: One size cover up
Colors Available: Jagger, hallo, Mr. Adorable, zayne
Inserts have been made of three layers
1 size can’t increased more than a limited extent
Has TPU laminate coat to prevent leakages
Has 3 × 3 rise snap system
Good looking, popular and offers good protection
The Bum Genius all in one diaper is a soft elastic cover up having the pouch for inserts. The pouch has a terry coat under it for quick absorption and for keeping the baby dry.
The diaper is an attractive compact design and has buttons for latching it on the baby. It is for babies between 7 to 35 pounds. It can expand to three sizes. The fabric used is polyester. It has a hassle free use makeup and is a pocket diaper with self adjusting design.
Diaper Type: All-in-one
Colors Available: mirror, black, pink, armadillo, green, pepper
It is a little bulky
Polyester core keeps the baby extra dry
No fuss of stuffing the inserts
This Rumparooz one size diaper has four size settings new born, small, medium and large. The matte fabric and attractive design are the USP of the product. It is for baby weighing 6 lbs up to the age where he shall be weighing even 35 + lbs. It has the space and design for fitting almost any prefold diapers.
They can be reused and so can be this one size diaper. If proper precautions are taken then this is the most durable diaper. It should be washed with cold water and mild disinfectant.
Diaper Type: One size
Colors Available: Dandelion, orchid, nautical, phantom, poppy etc.
It has a compact design to give a hugging feel
More expensive than flats and prefolds
It is very ecofriendly and economic option
The fabric is soft for the baby
They are ultra soft pocket diapers which come in a pack of six with two inserts per cover up. They are very quick to dry and easy to wash. They have an additional array of buttons to fit on the baby well.
The fabric used is 100% micro fiber terry. They permit air circulation to the baby’s body. They can be used for baby between 6.6 to 33 pounds. They are very easy to latch on and are better than cotton linen as these dry up faster.
Diaper Type: Cover up
Colors Available: Blue, white, yellow, green, gray
Attractive designs hence dual purpose
Not a close fit and might loosen over use
Leak proof and quick drying
Easy management for laundry purposes
Leakproof & quickdrying!
The GroVia hybrid diaper is suitable for toddlers and has both prefold (insert) and the all in one setting. The buttons are well organised to latch on well close to the baby’s body.
The matte fabric used gives it a stylish look and a comfortable feel. This has a quick dry mechanism and hence can be washed and reused as well. This is an eco friendly yet economic option. It is for babies between 8 – 30 pounds. It is waterproof and has a very compact design.
Diaper Type: Hybrid diaper
Colors Available: Cloud, adventure, lotus, mandarin, yellow, astro
Very easy to dry
Hampers air supply to baby
Has both provisions for use with or without insert
Expensive if used as disposable
Good looking & quick drying
gDiapers are available in four different sizes and are cover up combo with inserts. These inserts are reusable or can be disposed too. gDiapers are very soft and fit the baby and closely hug the baby’s body.
The space for the insert is perfectly designed for inserting any prefolds. The entire pouch can be removed and washed easily thus making it a very manageable option compared to other diapers.
The inserts have been accredited cradle to cradle certified silver mark which is a symbol of excellence.
Diaper Type: All in one
Colors Available: Orange, green
Detachable pouch for easy washing
Soft & Good fit
It has dual core the inner soft one keeps the baby dry while the outer one makes it leak proof. The core is removable and can be easily washed. The fabric is a quick to dry kind for ease of use.
It is for babies weighing 8 – 35 pounds and is adjustable. The elastic used is soft and does not tighten on the baby’s skin. It is easy to use just a slip on and off kind. It has a soaker outside to make it leak-proof.
Diaper Type: All in one
Colors Available: Raspberry, Emerald, Marigold, Overboard, Snow, Flutter etc.
Does not come with fixed core
Easy to use
Easy to use
What is a cloth diaper?
A cloth diaper is a baby sanitary napkin which is reusable and unlike the disposable diapers doesn’t have any gel crystals or adhesives. It is based on the simple pinning or tying way of fixing.
Types of cloth diapers
Cloth diapers can be of many types. In our review of best cloth diaper for babies diapers you'll come across many of these. are of the following types:
- Granny era - Flat diapers
These are the conventional diapers being used since your granny was a newborn. It is a plain soft fabric either rectangular or triangular in shape which is simply tied or pinned.
- Very economical
- Easy to wash and clean
- Soft to the baby’s skin
- Difficult to wrap on
- Is prone to be leaky
- Has less soaking capacity
- Prefold diapers
These are multilayered version of the flat cloth diapers. They are nothing but many layers of absorbent core stitched together to form a nice soft cloth diaper.
- Highly absorbent
- Free from any allergen like gel crystals
- Comfortable and give a hugging feel
- Skill requirement to be able to latch them on
- Need to changed often
- Have to be disinfected
- Cover diapers
They are more sophisticated version of cloth diapers. Much like a training pant they have some slots created for the insertion of the fabric pad or insert. These inserts are changed and the cover is latched on the baby’s bum. They are available in various colours and designs.
- Attractive designs hence dual purpose
- Leak proof
- They are not a close fit and might loosen after hours of wearing
- One size diapers
This is the most successful inventive creation. The actual engineering has been done to fix some buttons at specific locations to resize the diaper. They can be loosened and made bigger as your baby grows. Most economic option of all of the cloth diapers available!!
- Most economic
- Easy to use as only buttons have to be ticked
- One single diaper is equal to bags of disposable ones
- Made of non
– cotton materials
- Fitted diapers
They are a little modification of the cover diaper and have some elastic strings inserted to make them adhere to your baby like a clothing. They are available in many attractive colours and patterns.
- Well fitted and keep close to the baby
- Just slip on is needed for using
- The elastic might trouble your baby
- All in one diapers
These are cloth version of the plastic diapers available in the market. They have the insert already attached in them and just need to be put on and disposed for the laundry after every use. One of the expensive variant but very easy to use and suitable for your baby.
- A soft touch to your baby
- Protects baby from the adverse affects of plastic diapers while providing all their benefits
- It's almost similar in expense as any disposable diaper
- Hybrid diapers
Technology has not left diapers too!! Hybrid diapers are the solution for those who are still stuck between choosing between cloth diaper or the gel core disposable diapers this one is for you. It has both the options where you can either use and throw or put a cloth insert and reuse after washing it.
- Can be switched between the two modes
- Is easy to use and flexible in type
- Highly expensive if constantly used like a disposable one
- Wool diaper
For regions where the winters are freezing wool diapers are also available to give your baby the extra warmth. They are made of wool and need inserts to be placed inside to soak the poop.
- Extra warm layer for the baby
- Soaks extra moisture and locks it
- The wool fibres start coming off very soon on repeated washes and irritate baby’s delicate skin
- Swim diapers
They are made of rexine or plastic and have slits and buckles for fixing the core inside. It's suitable if you and baby are going out for Baywatch! And if your baby wants to play with water.
- Good for a water play time
- Completely leak proof
- Reduce and block the air flow to the baby’s skin
- Water proof from the outside the impervious cloth doesn’t allow the baby to dry up fast
- Snap on
They are like a link between diapers and training pants. The name particularly comes from the presence of buttons for latching on. They are a kind of cover up and so need to be stuffed with a insert.
- Hassle free use
- Leak proof
- buttons are the only way to secure them, if the button is damaged the entire diaper is of no use
Fabrics of cloth diapers
- Cotton: Cotton fibers are the most ideal choice. You can even use diapers made of your old cotton clothes as they tend to have smooth surface after being used. Cotton has rarely any accounts of being allergic to the wearer. Also cotton fibers have a high capacity to absorb. It is soft and gentle on your baby’s organs and keeps the skin cool. Many diapers in our list of best baby cloth diapers are of cotton.
- Polyester or Synthetics: Try avoiding the use of synthetic fabrics (FOR INSERTS) like rayon, acrylic, nylon or polyesters as they have a property of building up friction when rub against your baby’s skin. It leads to rashes and also might lead to skin ruptures or boils. They have far low capacity of absorbing than cotton.The cover up part will be undoubtedly made of a synthetic fabric to prevent leakage.
- Jute or hemp: They have the maximum absorbing capacity and hence are the most ideal choice for the prefold or the flats and the inserts. Unless your baby is particularly allergic always use bamboo or jute made inserts. They are more durable and will be usable for longer duration even after multiple washes.
Advantages of cloth diapers
- Cloth diapers are completely safe. There is a controversy surrounding the gel crystals in the diapers (sodium polyacrylayte). But they may get in the body and in the end are chemicals. Any chemical can be a potent allergen to your baby. Sensing this predicament of many mothers we chose to make this list of best cloth diapers for babies.
- Cloth diapers avoid infections or any irritation for the baby.There have been cases when the baby was kept tied in the diapers as the parents did not realize it was already overused and it led to urine track infection.
- Diapers made of cloth are flexible and don’t interfere with the development of the baby.There have been studies about babies developing bowed legs in the latter stage of life due to usage of tight plastic diapers.
- Cloth diapers don’t interfere with the baby’s daily routine habits. The baby has only few ways to get the physical activity done for food digestion. These are kicking the legs and a bit of hand movements.
- Diapers made of cotton or other fabric are easy to monitor and check on the baby’s pooping habits. It is difficult to understand whether the baby has pooped or not from a plastic diaper as it soaks it. Your baby might have already used many times before you come to realize that it has become a house of bacteria or germs.
- Cloth diapers can never be tight as the fabric is very compressible. Babies have irregular peristalsis (rhythmic movement of food along gut) they tend to have a lot of borborygmus (air filling up in the gut). If the plastic diaper is tight even the movement of air is restricted and the baby might have stomach aches.
- Fabric diapers are good for a happy active baby. By reducing the movement of the baby you might make your child gradually a little lazy and dull. As an active baby plays a lot and also tries new moments which are facilitated by cloth diapers.
- Cloth diapers are safe when reused. Most brands claim that they are just as economical as cloth diapers as they can be reused. Itching on reuse is very common. And for the time it is exposed to air it attracts a lot of harmful bacteria as well. But economy is the last thing which should come in your mind while nurturing your babies.
- Cloth diapers allow air circulation. When your baby is wrapped in a cloth diaper air circulates well to the baby and out. Sometimes you need to put on the diaper soon after bathing your baby. In such a case the baby’s body gets to dry up if in a cloth diaper.
- If your baby is suffering from diarrhea, then cloth diapers are ideal. Diarrhea is very common till the baby develops a strong gut.. Every time a new food is introduced to the baby the stomach takes time to accustom to it. While a plastic diaper wont let you become aware of the watery poop the cloth diaper would show it.
- Cloth diapers help in setting the nature’s call cycle. It is the wetting of the body that makes the baby develop the habit of telling you about answering the nature’s call. Children who wear cloth diapers tend to stop peeing on bed at night well within 3 years of age.
- Cloth diapers are more efficient than plastic diapers when it comes to staying in the place.Babies are naughty ones, they can remove the adhesion tape of the diaper unintentionally. Also some plastic diapers have a poor adhesive. Cloth diapers are difficult to get out of their place.
- Diapers made of cotton or jute are eco-friendly. The dumping grounds and drainage actually clog due to diapers and other sanitary waste. Adding so much of plastic in the environment doesn't make you a responsible citizen. Cloth diapers made of old clothes is actually a recycling method.
Disadvantages of cloth diapers
- Cloth diapers need a little practice on the parent’s side on how to tie them. Yes you need to learn it. But parenting is all about learning!! As also never ever pin a diaper. Nor tie big knots they will hurt the baby.
- Cloth diapers require vigilance. As they don’t lock the moisture you need to be careful while picking up your baby and having them in your laps. Especially when those complaining guests come! But they make the vigilance easier as well to detect the poop from a distance without having to peep in the diaper every time.
- Cotton diapers during winter nights might keep your baby cold.Many popular commercials show the doctor blaming the diaper for baby suffering pneumonia. It is not so much prevalent if you are a dedicated parent. The baby develops a rhythm of excretion in the body. So if you are aware the baby rarely wets more than twice in the night which should be the time for changing the nappy.
- Cloth diapers need a laundry service. Yes you will have an extra round of the laundry. But it’s no special laundry you can just wash them in lukewarm water with a good detergent.
- Cotton diapers are difficult to change. Even though it is your baby’s poop, it does disgust you to get those feels on your hand. But that sacrifice with your own likings is what makes you a loving parent. And gradually you will get habituated to it.
Things you need before switching to cloth diapers
Diaper and few wipes to cleanse the baby before changing. Spare inserts if you are using a cover diaper.Inserts are of two types:
- Disposable inserts – they are relatively thinner and can be disposed after one use.
- Reusable pads – they are like the prefolds and can be washed and reused again.
For disposing off the diapers for the laundry you will need a Diaper pail. This is a general accessory all moms have “Travel bag for diapers”. And indeed you need to select a good Diaper detergent which is having a pleasant fragrance and also is a good disinfectant.
Some important precautions for new parents or parents-to-be
- Let you baby be free of any diaper for at least 20 minutes after the bath to complete dry up the region to avoid fungal infections.
- Always check your baby’s diaper after regular intervals.
- Apply lot of powder before putting on the diaper
- Remove the diaper while massaging your baby to massage the bum and the lower regions
- Use slight warm water and a fresh cotton ball to clean you baby’s parts in between changing diapers.
- Don’t use tight diapers.
- Always consult a doctor whenever any rashes develop or any itching happens.
- Do not wash diapers with the entire laundry and add some anti bacterial disinfectant for cleaning them.
Author: Marissa Claire
Hi, I am Marissa. I am a wife of a very supportive husband and mother 3 precious kids. Even though my life is not picture perfect, I have too many blessings to be counted. I am an ordinary mom who has been through some tough times.
I have tried to collate the best information available and write personal & real reviews for the benefits of parents who are confused with the plethora of breast pumps available. I have made an effort to steer clear of technical jargons and used layman language which is understood by people like us.
Tags: Best Baby Cloth Diapers
Categorised in: Guide