How To Use An Electric Breast Pump
In today's tutorial we will explain how to use an electric breast pump in the best possible way. By the end of this article, you will realize how easy is to assemble, operate, clean and dissemble electric breast pump.
Electric breast pumps are used by lactating mothers for a number of reasons. Some mothers have to join back work, while some others are forced to use breast pumps pumps because of the inability of their babies to latch on properly.
Whatever maybe the reason, electric breast pumps are a great invention which have helped millions of mothers ensure a constant supply of food and nutrition for babies in form of milk.
Electric breast pumps may initially intimidate mothers with all its parts and accessories. It's very obvious for mothers to feel overwhelmed and confused.
If you're also a new user of an electric breasts pump, then hold tight and follow this tutorial as we will remove all your doubts.
As a lactating mother it is imperative that you know how to use an electric breast pump so that you can establish breast milk supply and keep your baby's tummy full!
Hopefully, you've selected the breast pump just right for you. If you're still choosing which one to buy then you can check our reviews of electric breast pumps.
Getting an electric pump just for you is very important as any wrong purchase can jeopardize your breast milk supply. If needed you should consult your doctor or a lactation consultant who understands you.
We highly recommend Medela Pump In Style Advanced breast pump, Spectra S1 and Hygeia Q breast pump. You can check out Medela Breast Pump comparison chart for a clear understanding of the usages and feature differences.
Now with choice of electric breast pump out of the way, we will delve on the subject before us i.e. how to use an electric breast pump?
1) Read the manual and understand all the parts of an electric breast pump. You may been bit overwhelmed but dont worry very soon you'll start figuring every part and its use with help of a manual.
2) Sterilize all the breast pump parts as recommended by the manufacturer.
3) Clean your hands properly so as to avoid infecting breast pump and milk.
4) Assemble flanges, valves, tubing and bottles as per the manual. You can also take the help of your husband. It's alright 😉
5) Sit in a comforting posture. During the operation, you have to lean slightly forward.
6) Place the flange on your breasts so that the nipple faced the tunnel (hole) and not the wall of the flanges. Hold the flanges securely to the breast so that there is a seal formed. You can also use hands free bra for more comfort.
Tip: Always ensure that flanges fit you perfectly. Try a different size if they don't fit you.
7) Now hold the bottle and turn on the breast pump. Start with the lowest suction available which is usually a shallow suction. This mode will have quick speed but shallow suction.This stimulation will mimic the pattern in which your baby sucks your breasts and hence letdown reflex is triggered.
Tip: You can also gently massage her breasts so that milk start flowing easily. You can also keep your baby or a photo of her in front of you.
8) Increase the suction to a level most comfortable to you and lower the speed as you see milk flowing. Some machines may have programmed settings to mimic baby's sucking motion.
9) Keep pumping for at least 15 minutes for each breast. This will mean a total of 30 minutes in case of an single electric breast pump. Keep on pumping for atleast 2-4 minutes more. This will tell your body to produce more milk for the next time.
10) Once you're done, remove the flanges from the breast carefully so as to not spill any milk.
11) Dissemble the parts. Close the lid of the bottles. You can either feed it to the baby or keep in the refrigerator for future use.
12) Sterilize all the parts recommended by the manufacturer to be sterilized.
13) Apply a Lanolin based cream in case you feel soreness in your nipples or see any cracks.
Hopefully, this tutorial has helped you in understanding how breast pumps works and how to use them easily. In case you have any question, feel free to contact us.
Author: Marissa Claire
Hi, I am Marissa. I am a wife of a very supportive husband and mother 3 precious kids. Even though my life is not picture perfect, I have too many blessings to be counted. I am an ordinary mom who has been through some tough times.
I have tried to collate the best information available and write personal & real reviews for the benefits of parents who are confused with the plethora of breast pumps available. I have made an effort to steer clear of technical jargons and used layman language which is understood by people like us.
Tags: Electric Breast Pump, How To Use An Electric Breast Pump
Categorised in: Guide